Hotels in Macau are reportedly expected to resume normal operations by early next month despite the impact of last week’s Typhoon Hato and the subsequent delay to the clean-up caused by Sunday’s comparably weaker tropical storm Pakhar.

According to a report from GGRAsia, the revelation came from Chan Chi Kit, President for the Macau Hoteliers and Innkeepers Association, who additionally explained that some of the enclave’s hotels had sustained “quite serious damage” including broken windows.

“I expect that the hotels in Macau will resume normal operations in early September,” Chan told GGRAsia. “The city’s attractions are still here, so visitors will come. Besides, it’s already the end of the summer holiday so many people are done travelling and are preparing for the new school year. So, with fewer travelers coming, it helps to relieve the pressure on the hotels.”

Reportedly the strongest storm to hit the region in 53 years, Typhoon Hato battered southern China on August 23 with torrential rainfall and winds reaching up to 124 miles per hour. In response, several local casino resorts including the Sands Macao from operator Sands China Limited and SJM Holdings Limited’s Grand Lisboa Macau suspended hotel operations due to electricity and water shortages.

GGRAsia reported that the stormy weather prompted the Macau Government Tourism Office to urge foreign tourists to reconsider any upcoming trips to the former Portuguese colony. The agency additionally asked travel agencies to suspend any package tours to the city until the end of August.

Chan reportedly explained that these moves could possibly impact up to 6,000 local hotel rooms per day until August 30 but that this would be only a short-term consequence of the damage caused by the recent inclement weather.

“If we consider that, on average, there were almost 300 tour groups coming to Macau each day [during the peak season] and with about 30 to 40 people in each group, there would be up to 12,000 tourists [affected by the suspension],” Chan told GGRAsia. “If we assume two people in each hotel room, this means the occupancy of 6,000 rooms could be affected.”

GGRAsia cited official figures from the city’s Statistics and Census Service in reporting that Macau welcomed some 728,000 package tour visitors in August of 2016, which equated to approximately 23,500 per day, while this figure had risen by 10.3% year-on-year for the first six months of 2017 to some 3.8 million.

Macau expecting quick recovery following Typhoon Hato was last modified: August 30th, 2017 by Adam Morgan